Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank

Anyone ever weigh a stock piston? What do those Ross forged pistons weigh Tlowe?

Telling a guy to keep his RPMs in check, remember, this is the same guy that was supposed to keep his boost levels in check, watch for detonation & run premium gas.

First time out, 20+ PSi 87 octane, no intercooler, no boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. Original 5/16 fuel line. All on a used stock cast piston long block. eek

I believe the Ross pistons were ~480g IIRC but I'll check again later.

Good one Hank... to be fair, I thought I had it set on like 6psi but didn't realize there was supposed to be a boost hose on top of the wastegate. Also, it wasn't 20psi, it was 15 or so.
But now I have almost as much money in the engine as I paid for the car. I'm probably just going to get the engine running and go take it to a dyno tuning shop to have them tune it so it takes the guesswork out and I can get the best performance. $200 to swap a block is a lot less work than building another one of these blocks up.

What do y'all think about keeping that 6AN to the front? Would that be sufficient for my endgame (600hp+ or more) or would I need to get a different regulator and use 8AN to the carb?

Anyway, I'm going to probably get around to fixing the rear main seal and rod bearings tomorrow. The machine shop got .0019-.0021" on the rod bearing clearances when they measured them so they should give me more breathing room with those few extra tenths in addition to having the oiling holes correct even if they are superfluous.

Only other bottom end part is the oil pump which I'll just clean out and throw back on.

I also just got my lifters in the mail. So that means that after the rods get installed, next up will be valvetrain measurements and whatnot. Probably gonna buy that roller rocker set that Tom has.

Last edited by snowman4839; 12/20/14 03:21 AM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.