I've done the whole thing but not in one trip. Read all you can and get the AAA books for each state you pass through. I know it best from Amarillo to around Victorville.
The Big Texan in Amarillo is a kick. Old Town Albuquerque is interesting. Earl's Restaurant in Gallop has local Navajos selling native crafts. Some of it is even Native American crafts. The Meteor Crater in Arizona along with the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest are all worth while. The stretch of Old 66 from Seligman to Kingman is a must and if you can find the old road from Kingman to Oatman that is one my favorite pieces. The unmaintained piece that goes from Goffs to Daggett is lonely. Near Daggett is the Ghost town of Calico restored by Walter Knott (Knott's Berry Farm) and donated as a park. The Giant Jack Rabbit, and lots of museums and other places I have left out. You could spend years, I have and can't wait for the next chance. Good luck and have fun.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain