Originally Posted By: gbauer
She spun the tires at 40 mph! Might have been a little crud on the road but still it happened.

That aside I still seem to have a slight dead spot at full throttle. Not nearly as noticeable now and it might go away when warm. I won't know for sure until I get a good chance to drive it more than 3 miles. I doubt the engine was fully warmed up when I drove it.

Anyone else have a dead spot at full throttle when using a stock cam and stock valves, Langdon headers, offy intake and a Holley 390 cfm carb? I'm wondering if the cam isn't enough now...

Oh and I added some zinc additive just to be on the safe side until I get around to changing the oil.

gbauer

Congrats on the tire spinning.!! cool

Ok, describe this dead spot a little more in depth.
At what RPM is this dead spot happening?
Time to install a wide band O2 reader, did I mention that before? grin
Really though, a wide band gauge will tell you exactly @ that moment the dead spot is happening, if it is lean, rich.

What type of timing curve does your distributer have, initial timing, total timing?

I will guess it is caused from a lean spot. But that is just a guess.
What is your current jets you are using? Power valve HG?

A stock cam should not give you a so called flat spot, just will be flat for a wide range of RPM flat, does not pull with authority that sort of flat spot a ho hum, boring, just going through the motions/going through the RPM band with no real pull.

Unless you are getting valve float?
IIRC, I could rev my Moms stock everything 250 Chevy to 5500 RPM, not making power there mind you.

It would not make power past 4200 RPM, stock setting max was about 4800, where the trans shifted @ (factory setting).

Installing a better camshaft will help you make more power, but if you do that, I would mill down the cyl head to recoup lost compression from a bigger camshaft.

So, gbauer
what RPM are you taking the engine to?

12 port SDS EFI