Tuning a carb isn't too difficult once you start in on it. Honestly I'd recommend starting with rebuilding the one you've got now. A rebuild kit will only run you about $40 or less and you can learn on the one there now.

That's what I did with my 250. In fact I had the same thought you did: I bought my 68 Camaro thinking I'd pull the engine and toss in a crate 350 with EFI. Ended up liking the 250 and the attention it gets but didn't like the lack of power. I fixed everything else on the car first since the 250 ran (but not well) and last summer managed to get first place in mild modified at Camaro nationals. I had all sorts of attention while everyone ignored the two built up V8's on either side of me.

So I got hooked.

I rebuilt the 1bbl about a year ago (before the car show) just to get by so I already had my hands in a carb though it wasn't a lot. At the show I decided to just go full-in on the 250.

First thing I did was buy a set of long tube headers. Tried them. Didnt fit. sent them back.

Ordered a set of Langdon headers and ran a single 2.5" exhaust. That really woke the car up! Now I was onto something!

So I found a used Holley 8007, 390 CFM 4bbl carb on ebay for about $100. It was a steal but needed a complete rebuild so I bought the rebuild kit and dug in. Set everything to factory specs on the carb, then bought an Offy 4bbl intake. Put it all together and she scoots now!

Still tweaking the carb a bit. Fought against and won a battle with a vacuum leak. Now figuring out the power pump (she stumbles a bit when you floor it). I think I know what the problem is there. If we didn't constantly have snow right now it'd be fixed too.

Now I'm debating on what's next. I'll probably pull the engine next winter for a full rebuild. I might do a cam now, though.

All in I've spent about the same amount as I would have for a crate 350 but I now have something very unique and about the same power. I can get more power out of her with head work and a cam but I don't feel the need to do that immediately like before. I'll probably change the transmission next (2 speed powerglide with a 250 just doesn't work well as a combo. I'm thinking 700r4 but still up in the air).

Long story short: The inline 6 is a fun, smooth, quirky and unique engine. With the right intake, exhaust and carb she'll go pretty good. If that's not enough throw a turbo on it and it'll keep up with most built V8's out there. Without a turbo a built inline will keep up with your run of the mill V8 without a problem. I know my car is faster than my buddy's stock 68 327 and probably more fun as well.

edit: I'd recommend staying away from MPFI. I thought I'd go that route as well but after talking to Tom Langdon and others on here decided it was a bad idea.

Last edited by gbauer; 01/29/15 06:55 PM.