Originally Posted By: rickoner
Hello everybody. I guess I should start with I'm working on a '65 c10. I was going to do an lsx swap as I'd like my truck to be a reasonable driver but this 292 setup kinda fell in my lap. I was just going to flip it to make some $ for the lsx but I'm liking the quirkiness of this engine. Currently it doesn't run. I'm assuming the carb is just really dirty from sitting. It will run on ether though. So here's where I could use some guidance. Is it worth doing some kind of 2bbl carb swap? Or is going 4bbl the better option. All out performance isn't a concern but mileage is. If 2bbl is worth it, what one is recommended?

That is one way to get up and running but I have to confess that I'm a efi/turbo guy. I understand and am comfortable with that stuff, but carbs seem like black magic to me. haha. I'd really like to do a mpfi setup. I would really like to get my hands on one of those Brazilian heads. Does anybody have one they'd like to sell? Or maybe have connections that can get/ship one? That would be the ideal/simplest solution to doing what I'd like, but might not be an option due to availability. I also did some research on splitting the intake ports on my stock head. That's an option, but just bolting a head on would be so much easier. So, is the Brazilian head even accessible or would I be stuck adapting one of our's? Either way, I'm capable of doing all of the fab work but dividing intake ports would take some time.

So what's your thoughts? Throw a carb on it for now even though I have no idea on how to tune one? Hold out for a Brazilian head? Maybe try to find another head an start mutating it?

If your looking for economy a 292 is not the best place to start - lots of torque - not so good on gas.

You might want to consider a vortec 4200 - if you can find a complete 2wd trailblazer thats been bent in half - you can use the engine and trans + its MPEFI from the factory - 275 or 290 HP inline 6. Locally at the u pull it yard we can get a drop out for ~$700 with the harness, pcm, dressed engine and transmission. In a C10 driven normally you'll get ~24 mpg highway. The extras you would need is a rear sump oil pan and a pickup tube out of a 5 cly. colorado. Strip the harness and reprogram the PCM to kill VATS and wire it in.
Engine mounts (home fabricate) and an EFI fuel system round out the extras. 4200 projects + info

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/30/15 02:56 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them