Originally Posted By: gbauer
What's the point of swapping in a 4200? Might as well swap in an LS.

I don't care that it's an inline engine. That's not the point. As I said above I had a 3.2L inline pushing 300 hp/tq and I'd never think of putting it into a classic car. That misses the point of having a classic completely.

The point is that it keeps it inline powered and is the logical step forward in hotrodding. Just like the Stovebolt guys that swapped out their anemic 216 or 235 for the more powerful GMC 6 cylinder or even later more modern 250 or 292. Even if your not out to set any records or rip up the pavement with awesome power, the early hotrodder often realized that it was more economical and smarter to just swap in a more modern powerplant than to spend more rebuilding his current engine and ending up with less. The Atlas engine is also the natural step forward just as it was back in the Stovebolt days. You actually get so much more for less than if you built or rebuilt the older vintage engines. Nothing wrong with keeping the old engine in place, just realize there are better options even down to the guy that just want's better mileage or dependability with computer controlled electronics and hands off driveability.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer