Thanks Ken. That's a good article - even if it is about BOP vthingies . . .

I find it very interesting that Chevy chose to utilize such sophisticated engineering on a power-plant designed to be a work-horse for the masses. A taper finish on the camshaft lobes is extra labor and tooling. The same with the chilled honey-comb-plate base casting process and hemispherical treatment on the tappet faces.

As far as I can tell Chevy abandoned all of this sophistication in the '54 to '55 transition (piloted by the '53 corvette). With the move to cast-iron cam construction they chose to utilize flat cam lobes and flat lifters . . . straightforward machining on softer materials. This is certainly what the aftermarket is/was producing.

My build is headed down this same avenue. And it seems Muskegon Michigan has its hands in every aspect. From the Campbell, Wyatt & Cannon cam casting (CWC) to the Johnson/Sealed Power lifters.

Based on the mock up today the combination appears to be working as designed. I have constant rotation of the lifters in the bores. We'll see how break in goes. I have buttered the lobes & lifter faces with Zpaste and will repeat the application before the break in run.

BTW. The McGurk push rods proved too long. The stock push rods fit perfectly with the adjusters backed almost completely upwards. It would seem that the surface prep on the head and .014 milling on the block (to square it) plus the taller lifter bodies more then make up for the loss in base circle on the reground cam.

regards,
stock49