Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
The air in the oil pressure line will not cause a low reading. It all gets compressed with the same amount of pressure.

I like to adjust the valves with the engine off. Your engine has OEM lifters. They need more turns in than new style lifters. I believe it is 1- 1 1/4 for OEM lifter.

Put engine on TDC #1 and adjust both intake/ exhaust. Feel the pushrod by lifting up and down. When play is gone, give it the required turns.
Then turn engine 1/3 of a turn and repeat process on the next cylinder in firing order.

Repeat till done. Only 2 revs of engine.

Put some thicker oil in your engine. You really will need about 30 to be sufficient. On your stock engine.

I usually run 10W-30 or -40 in it. She burns a bit so I sometimes will have to suck it up at a gas station and put in what they have. I try not to do that, though.

Dumb thought: the filter on the valve cover: do they get fouled often? Would that cause a rough idle? Mine has about 3,000 miles on it. I doubt it's the problem but thought I'd ask anyway since two weekends ago there was a TON of pollen down in NC when I was down there. It didn't idle rough until I got it back home.

Is it better to adjust the lifters while running or like you describe? I've done it while running but never tried it your way.

Last edited by gbauer; 04/20/15 05:18 PM.