Brown Sugar, sorry for not reading your post sooner. I use Southern Polyurethanes epoxy. You can google the name and it'll pop up, give them a call, tell them what you are doing, and they will set you up. Great people.

Donohue, what information do you have on the silver POR-15 being better first? I'm always researching and would like to know how you arrived at that conclusion. Also, as far as the tye-coat goes, you can definitely go that route. However, by the time you add up the cost of the POR-15 and then add in another product (tye-coat) you are starting to spend some serious dough.

What it all comes down to is that I won't coat anything that is rusty in the first place. I don't take 1/2 measures if I can avoid them. I would rather spend the money and take the time to do it right once than to spend some money doing it "good enough for now" then spend more down the road doing it right. It definitely sucks doing it that way sometimes, but I have no worries in the back of my mind when it's finished. Everyone has their own ways, this is just mine. On clean bare metal, POR and epoxy will probably both work just fine. However, if you want to topcoat or get UV protection, it's more expensive with POR and your color selection is limited.