No, you do not use the engines coolant system, well, you could, but your intake temps will always be hot.

IIRC, the radiator core support has room to cut a hole in it for a small intercooler, no?

Methanol injection will allow you run more boost , run more timing, than just using an intercooler alone will allow you to run.
That being said, methanol injection is great & all, but, if that system fails, plugged nozzle, run out if methanol, loose wire, etc, your engine can go away very quickly.
There are fail safe add on components you can use to save your engine from blowing up.
Example: http://www.snowperformance.net/Snow-Performance-Safe-Injection-Unit-p/30020.htm

Adding a simple air to air intercooler, will always be there to lower your intake temps. No working devices, no moving parts.
I would add an intercooler just to have peace of mind knowing you will always something there to help reduce the chances of detonation.
There has to be a way to install one on your Nova, just need to be creative I guess?

MBHD

Originally Posted By: dodgycanuck
That is a whole lot more than I was thinking.
I thoughtIit was plumbed in with the radiator to keep the temp at steady.

Scratch that thought!

It's just going to take significant mods to put and air cooler in. Certainly not as simple as put it in place and drill some holes.

It starts adding up that meth injection is the way to go. I k ow there are consumables and moving parts. I'm just a little stuck. What I can afford makes a lot of work.

12 port SDS EFI