Originally Posted By: TJ's Chevy
Whats your timing without vacuum?

8 degrees.

I tried a bit of mid grade gas and magically it's no longer pinging. Seems to have a bit more umph behind it too. Looks like I just upgraded to 89+ octane...

I think I'm done for the summer now. I'll get back to the fun stuff this fall with it. Probably just buy one of Tom's heads already done up, get some new rods, a cam (Tom might just get a big order out of me) and slap that in. Probably upgrade the trans to a TH350 or 400 at that time as well. Looked into going 700r4 or even a 4L80 but both seem like overkill for a weekend cruiser.

If budget permits I'll probably also do EFI next winter.

...all in preparation for this thread being moved one subforum down...

Hopefully for next year's little shindig in Ohio I'll be pretty close to maxed out for a naturally aspirated 250 without crazy stuff on the head or intake. Then next time we all get together I'll be up around 400 hp at the rear round thingies. Lots of work before I get there! Once the head is done and I can enjoy it for a summer as-is the following winter will involve new pistons, rods, and the snail with the stuff involved with that. Intercooler (probably no water or meth injection: street car), bigger exhaust, etc.

I want to keep the little 250 badge on the car and pass big blocks at the track. As is I walk my buddy's stock 327. I'm going for bigger fish next.