Alrighty....so you want low to mid rang torque. The stock cam will do fine. A little more cam won't hurt a thing though. Something around 240-250 duration...and about .450 lift on a 110 lobe center. Delta can custom grind a cam to any number you want and may even have something very similar to what I just mentioned off the shelf. These engines will NOT run higher than 4500 stock. 4000 is the red line, but since I'm crazy I have reved my old 292 higher. lol 3 carbs, long tube headers, hei and a little more cam will make for a nice improvement. Though a single 4 barrel carb would make for better drive ability and less tuning. Full length headers and a single 4 barrel will be fine, and like I said...make for better drive ability. The stock compression ratio was 7.6.1 - 8.0.1. The stock dish depth of the piston is .300 deep. Summit Racing sells pistons with a .150 dish and that will bump you compression up to just under 9.5.1 and 87 octane will still be use able, though you may have to retard the timing just a hair. Link to pistons:
www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-w980p20/overview/make/chevrolet There's a bunch more you can look at from summit as well. Keep in mind these are cast stock type pistons with a shallower dish to give more low end power. For head work I would have a 1.86 intake valve grind done and have lump ports installed. It'll help alot with flow in itself.

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420