I had begun to compare all the low-budget tall-geared slushbox sixes being built and tested here lately (me, gbauer, mshaw230, integrated, MBHD, etc) and compare the numbers. A bit of fun.

Along the way I came across an old road test, the only test I can find of the good old 230 HiPerf, the 230/155 in the Chevelle. Unlike Ford's Sprint 6, Chevy actually hot rodded the 230 in a stealthy kind of way. Documented is use of the 292 "Big Jug" 1bbl (I actually have one, an automatic choke Big Jug, kinda rare), and my guess is they used the other 292 specs - cam, intake, and exhaust iron. The result was an honest 10% HP increase and the Gonkulator agrees.

But there's more. The engine came with chrome, valve cover, dipstick, master cylinder cap, I forget what else. So what?
That chrome added another 6% power and I can prove it. (Am I joking or not?)

Tested in March 64 Car Life, the 230 HiPerf sent its massive power thru a powerglide 3.08 to propel a 64 Malibu with 2 aboard to
13.4 0-60mph
19.60 at 72mph (likely 5th wheel for about a 19.20 et)

Sounds kinda ho-hum until I try to match this with the Gonkulator. I have to use every trick in the book, including a loose muffler, optimistic powerglide, and that still doesn't do it. I cant "cheat" and assume super-good weather because 2 other cars were tested in the same article (283/220 Chevelles) and they line up perfectly with no weather tricks. I have to add 6% power across the board to get the Gonkulator to line up. Now, I often encounter road tests where I have to DE-tune the Gonk by 4%-6%, but this was common, stuff was just mis-tuned out of the factory back then. But how do you assume perfect tuning and then find ANOTHER 6%? that's like jacking the compression up to 10.0 or something.

I can justify about 3% extra from a "loose build", not common but possible. But 6% extra is really reaching. I can only attribute this to the chrome.

Other explanations welcome!

In any case, this is my only experience so far with the 230/155HiPerf. If anybody knows the real specs from measuring parts I would welcome that too. I once saw one of these in the junkyard and ignored it, I should have yanked the engine just to measure it. Worth the $50 although the carb was already gone. Or wait, maybe I got it! Too long ago to remember.