Originally Posted By: mshaw230
Originally Posted By: TJ's Chevy
With the engine off you would have to have #6 at TDC and set your intake and exhaust at 0 lash. Personally I'd set them with some clearance 1st and see what happens. My 292 suffered from valve train problems(diagnosing with the head still on) and I set my valve lash at .004 intake and .006 exhaust...never ran better in its life! Try some clearance like that and see if it fixes the problem. Valves hanging open will cause major misfire and loss of power. I did mine with the engine running. Easier and faster imop. You can set clearance with a feeler gauge while the engine is running to. Really easy...just do it the same way you would with the engine off.

Hi TJ, wouldn't this make the valves chatter? Maybe I don't understand what you mean. The manual says go to zero and do a full turn.

Mark

They would clack a little bit, but the old 60's shop manuals actually had a clearance spec on the hydraulic cammed I6's and it was even more than what I mentioned I believe. I recommended he try it for the heck of it cause it helped mine out. smile

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420