Alright, back on the build thread. I picked up a used 250 engine from a 77-78. The engine had not too many miles back been rebuilt, so it saves me the work of getting my '250 overhauled (I hope). I'm going to take the tin from my existing 230 since it's beautiful and with a touch of rust.

I could use suggestions on how to clean the carbon out and the water jackets.

The engine barely fit with the lift in the back of my Chevy. I ditched the integrated head.

Reflections and lighting make it hard to see. You can see the honing/boring hash marks on the sidewall indicating the engine is not that far from the rebuild. There's plenty of carbon on the top of the piston and the upper ring of the cylinder. I oiled everything up for now, but will need to clean it all really good. I'm hoping not to have to remove the pistons to do that. Suggestions?

The car was a manual. There was some rust on this. I'm putting in an automatic so will probably steel wool it. The ring gear looks great, didn't see any chewing at all so maybe it was replaced.

Some water left in the engine, wow, look at that brown rusty water. Yikes!

This one's really hard to see inside the jacket. There's some residue and build-up, but not really that bad considering the brown water. The only thing I can think of beyond hot tanking is to put a head back on the engine (to minimize risk of water getting where it's not supposed to be), pop out the freeze plugs, remove the water pump and run pressure washer in it. Thoughts?

Alrighty, we're on our way!

Last edited by mshaw230; 11/01/15 02:14 AM.

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250