Yep, a 316 stainless is better & better yet is 321 stainless
http://www.rolledalloys.com/alloys/stainless-steels/321/en/
Just remember though the higher the number on 300 series the better rust resistant but also @ a higher price.

409 stainless is for people who do not care about having rust, that is why OEM use 409 it's cheaper than the 300 series, there is a whole wealth of knowledge on the internet about stainless metals, titanium, etc,, try the internet to find out more.

Try a google search for a change instead of rambling on here about 409 stainless being the best and does not rust as you say. A simple search will reveal 409 stainless rust easily.

You will never see a high end custom car use 409 stainless for a show quality finish, unless it is a rat rod & you would need rust on the pipes eek

IIRC, Borla has a lifetime warranty on there stainless mufflers, & guess what they are not using crappy 409 stainless, wonder why that is?

IIRC, Nascar teams also uses 321 stainless, it it a much lighter stainless, ohh also, they do not tend to rust.

They could use 409 stainless if they wanted to add weight to their vehicles & they don't mind rust.

I would love to have my turbo exhaust manifold made out of 321 stainless, but it does cost much, much more than the 304 stainless I have. I don't have the Nascar sponcers backing for my ride. blush

To the original poster, how did the 304 stainless clean up, any updated pics?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI