Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
Yep, a 316 stainless is better & better yet is 321 stainless
http://www.rolledalloys.com/alloys/stainless-steels/321/en/
Just remember though the higher the number on 300 series the better rust resistant but also @ a higher price.

409 stainless is for people who do not care about having rust, that is why OEM use 409 it's cheaper than the 300 series, there is a whole wealth of knowledge on the internet about stainless metals, titanium, etc,, try the internet to find out more.

Try a google search for a change instead of rambling on here about 409 stainless being the best and does not rust as you say. A simple search will reveal 409 stainless rust easily.

You will never see a high end custom car use 409 stainless for a show quality finish, unless it is a rat rod & you would need rust on the pipes eek

IIRC, Borla has a lifetime warranty on there stainless mufflers, & guess what they are not using crappy 409 stainless, wonder why that is?

IIRC, Nascar teams also uses 321 stainless, it it a much lighter stainless, ohh also, they do not tend to rust.

They could use 409 stainless if they wanted to add weight to their vehicles & they don't mind rust.

I would love to have my turbo exhaust manifold made out of 321 stainless, but it does cost much, much more than the 304 stainless I have. I don't have the Nascar sponcers backing for my ride. blush

To the original poster, how did the 304 stainless clean up, any updated pics?

MBHD

Borla says these are 304 stainless.
Tubes are not magnetic, but flanges are.
I used some fine scotchbrite in the upper photo.
The black is tarnish or some kind of coating, but I think not paint.
The lower pic is after coarse scotchbrite and then fine. That's me in a yellow shirt starting to show up in the reflection. Not sure I need them real shiny.
Maybe some kind of blasting is in order?
Baking soda or walnut shells?

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck