Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
Post # 76442 "stainless 409 rusts?-never seen a cafeteria counter-top rust --thats what they are made of. 304 is a common architectural grade, 409 as well as other grades stainless can get a rust stain put on them, but they wont rust by themselves."

There was a bunch more comments that you deleted.
So people cant see how off your comments really are.
All you like to do is argue & post comments that does not pertain to the original poster.

No reason to look further into your rude comments.
The previous moderator should have banned you for good like you were already banned from this website.
Short term memory I guess?

I think if you put 300 series stainless in the ocean I think they will all rust.

I recently looked into this and did some research. like 2 days ago. Had to do it for work.

304 will tarnish. It won't rust though.
316 is very resistant to corrosion.
410 is magnetic. It can rust but isn't likely to do so (I imagine headers would be an exception due to heat).
416: a bit more galling resistant over 410.

Just a bit I ran into. Not trying to start or stop any arguments.

Basically 400 series is magnetic. 300 series isn't. If it's not magnetic it's 300 series. If it is it's 400 series. Likely 304 or 410 stainless by the slight corrosion.

I'd guess the tubes are 410 SST and the flanges are 304 SST. The 410 SST is more malleable meaning they're able to make tubes out of it. 304 was probably cheaper to buy in sheets.

Last edited by gbauer; 11/03/15 06:57 PM.