For anyone else that is curious, google vortec4200 and the dedicated engine forum will pop up. Just so everyone knows, I do not own nor moderate that forum.

The number of swaps either completed and/or underway is growing - and this is only the ones that find the forum and join.

Also so everyone knows when I built my 51 GMC, I did a quite expensive build on a 292 - if you look back in the archives here you'll find posts about it. This is the engine that TLowe used to do all his 292 dyno testing with as he bought the engine from me.

After swapping to the 4200 it was night and day the way it ran compared to the 292 so from that time on, I was sold on the newer engine.

The 194/292 vintage engines were designed in late 50's, early 60's and introduced in '63. The 4200 design started late '90's and was introduced in 2002. Almost 40 years in design advancement.

The 4200 short block is simpler that the 194/292 as it has less parts in it. The head has more parts due to the 4 valve head - but overall its quite simple lash post - roller follower - valve just more of them.

Can the 4200 be converted to a carb - yes look at what the comp eliminator racers are doing. Convert to a dist. yep Jerry W. did just that.

I know I said I was going to let this rest but $/HP its a cheaper way to go. Let the figures speak for themselves.

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/03/16 12:34 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them