So as the days passed I noticed the factory ammeters needle would dance around. voltage was better than ever before but the dancing ammeter was bugging me. I cleaned all the grounds I could find and applied dielectric grease until I noticed the fastener holding the ground on the voltage regulator just spun freely. I fixed that as best I could and stopped the dancing needle.

that high amp alt that bauer linked would be awesome and allow me to get rid of the external voltage regulator, I just need to find a new 2 groove pulley. the one I have now is kind of old and worn out, and the outer groove has a chip in it so i dont use it. tax time is here again, mines all going into the truck more or less. a new radiator, and 4 matching rims from pull n save are first up, then the rest goes to whats left.

I never bothered to test the old alternator because in my impatience I just went ahead and replaced components that I deemed part of the problem one at a time till the problem stopped. not the most cost efficient way to troubleshoot.

will those high amp ( 100 amp + ) alternators be ok with an optima battery? I'm not an electrical engineer, but I heard you cant dump as much amperage as fast into an AGM as you could with a normal lead acid style battery. is there any truth to this?