Originally Posted By: efi-diy
Probably not the response your looking for but..

Consider the cost of the injectors ( $200??) + tune ($200??) + will you be happy with it? ($$$$ >> ?????)

I get quite a few Jeep guys asking if the 4200 drive train will fit... A few years ago I did a quick test fit into a TJ and the 4200 engine, 4l60 + xfer case fits, I would think it would fit into a Cherokee as its longer.

In stock form the early 4200 make 275hp the later ones 290HP

With a little bit of head work this jumps by 30+ HP.

Quite a few people are adding a turbo to a bone stock 4200 engine and getting 400 RWHP with a tune ( to keep the engine alive as they are 10.2:1 CR).

Something to consider.

You brought this up when I asked here about doing a supercharger on my Cherokee...
The GM engine is too tall and won't clear the front axle in a XJ unless it's got a lift kit .An XJ has a smaller engine bay than the TJ.. And it also requires two reworked driveshafts,floor and crossmember modifications It is not like you buy and engine for 500 bucks ,drop it in an go. Its a full on engine swap. And some of us want to retain the 5 speed manual and the non electronic reliable transfer case.
Not impossible of course and while the GM engine can make a lot more HP than the pushrod 4.0, not everyone wants or needs 400 hp.

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder