1. I have my grandfather's 1960 Chevrolet C-60 that he used as a grain truck on his MN dairy farm. After he retired in 1980 he stored the beast in the barn where it sat for near 20 years. We had to tear the old barn down and the beast resides with me in Montana now (hauled it from MN). After some tuning, a rebuilt power booster and a few odds and ends, it runs well. I now use it for hauling topsoil or gravel on occasion. The 19500 GVW seems a little underpowered. After replacing the leaking valve cover gasket with silicone, I noticed several of the push rods were bent. In an attempt to replace the rods, I found out the engine is the original 261 ci. The engine stamp, header stamp, and carb all original (thanks to inliners.org for helping me verify numbers).
Like I said initially, it seems underpowered. Is there anything I can do to improve horsepower without major work on the block?

2. I also have Grandfather's 1942 Dodge 3/4...all original or NOS. It has the Original Block with only 60,000+ miles and after restoring it as best a 1st timer could, I run it around regularly. The flat head 6 doesn't leak a drop of oil and runs like it just came off the assembly line. But at 35-40 mph the engine sounds like it is ready to come through the hood! Did I mention the gear ratio in the rear end is the lowest made that year? I would love to run it down the highway at a nominal speed...any suggestions?

Last edited by 42Dodge; 09/23/16 12:35 AM.

R.A. Fasching