Thanks Deuce Coupe. That is some interesting info. In the late 70s I think there was a school of thought at GM that said use a deep first gear, would work the same for performance with a higher rear gear .the 700r4 is an example. Another example would be Lifeguards Camaro with a 3.50 first gear three speed.i am still tossing around a trans swap. The 200 is the easy fit, next would be a 200r4. A 700r 4 would be more work but might be worth it. For about $500 a 3.06 first can be had for the th350 but the jump to second would still be 1.52. I have a 2.73 rear axle so the OD won't help much even with a low rpm cam that I plan to run. If I had a power glide car a th350 or th200 or a 200r4. Would one of the first things I would do. The first two are almost a bolt in for some cars, not sure about an early nova. Looking at your nova, the 60' gain is huge. Driving on the street would be mor fun too. Some time ago, you ran my car through the famous Gonkulator and said the gain for going to a 2.74 first from 2.52 wouldn't be worth it. Jay