HA ! Good review. Sometimes its good to get things out for discussion.

A few notes to add; while its true that the 4L60E usually requires a electronic controller there is a way to control the line pressure using a vacuum modulator (like a TH350) and a push button module to shift the gears (mind you its a full manual operation) - push button 1 - you get 1st gear, push button 2 - you get 2nd gear, push button 3 - you get 3rd gear, push button 4 - you get OD. A vacuum switch like used on the 700r4 can be used to lock up the converter. The PWM signal for lock is part of the push button box.

Alternatively PCS makes an excellent controller that uses 4 knobs on the front panel to set up the shift points, lockup and shift firmness. Its well suited for folks that don't like computers - its simple to use and install. The upside no throttle cable/brackets to deal with like on a 700r4.

Some time next year I plan on putting a 4l60 into my 2nd gen (1979), so I'll know all the gritty details once done.

95% of the late model stronger 4l65/70e factory parts swap back to the earlier 700r4 (30 spine input shaft).

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them