I suppose I should state my power level goals. Due to NOT being independently wealthy I'll be doing this build in roughly 2 stages, maybe 3.

Stage 1 is a dependable daily driver type. So utilizing the Clifford intake/exhaust parts. I'll be running the Weber 2 barrel for initial break-in and driving until I save enough for Stage 2; a turbo system and associated induction system/components. Going to run a modified STS type setup, hopefully with an air to air intercooler.

When it's all said and done I'd like 400rwhp. Nothing earth shattering but that's a good number in a 2wd pickem-up-truck!

Shortblock and head are the keys to making this work. I want to build the motor such that I don't have to go back in and redo anything; if I can help it anyway.

Looks like the Scat 6" rods are fairly easy to track down but a nice flat top forged piston is a little tougher.

The two companies I know of that offer a piston are 12bolt.com and Sissell, both about $600 +/-

Problem is most overbores I see are 40 and 60 over. How much bore wear do these motors typically see? I was always told to take what you need to get the bore prepped correctly and save a little for another rebuild. On previous engines I've had to take .005 and .020 to get the cylinders prepped; but those were on engines where forged pistons were more readily available.

Anyway, just trying to get my list of parts and associated costs together for the rebuild so I can present the numbers to mama! haha!

take care!

Last edited by moregrip; 07/20/17 08:53 AM.