Originally Posted By: stock49
Originally Posted By: Lifeguard
Are you saying that the '75 to '76 trucks, and '77 to '78 trucks continued to used the non-integrated heads on the 250?

Not at all. The post is about engine identification and "what the engine is out of". And given the fact that the Varajet didn't make the scene until '79 then Ric has a '73 short block with a later head.

And I see a typo up above - I meant '79 not '75. I read somewhere that the 2 barrel integrated with a varajet was created with the RPO LE3 truck application in mind - even though the varajet was used elsewhere.

I was under the impression that all 250's after '75 were integrated heads (cause of smog requirements) - and that all 79-84 trucks with a 250 were LE3 equipped.

Yeah, I see the '79 in that chart you linked to. Maybe that answers my question, '79 to '84 250 trucks were all topped with the Varajet integrated head.

The '75 and '76 had the first version of the integrated Monojet head, and the '77 and '78 had the second version of it which is what I have. But in '79, all their restyled models could only take V6s. The only hanger ons with the large hood length were the Camaro, it's sister car the Nova, and the Caprice. So they went one more year with an L6 in them. Word is they had too many warranty claims for cracked heads with the integrated, so they just slapped the non-integrated back on for the last year, apparently while they went to the Varajet head in the truck 250. Might have been a supply issue too, they weren't casting new Monojet heads, so they just reached into inventory and put the top end of the 292 truck engine on them to make it one more year in three models.