Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir
3.08 gears are the "kiss of death" for these sixes, a very good rear gear ratio is a 3.55--very well rounded ratio--it will wake up the smallish motor and let it run more freely--if you do this first it may save you a lot of motor hop-up spending--it's really a wake-up move. The original '62 Chevy lls were equipped with 3.55s, then in '63 they switched to 3.08s and performance plummeted. I had a '63, and the '62s would embarrass me. Switched to a 3.55 and wow what a difference--almost like going from a two-speed PowerGlide (1,82 low gear) to a three speed Turbo hydramatic (2.54 low gear)when you hit the "go" pedal---OOOOPS--I see now I came 'waaay too late with my suggestion!!

I don't know what kiss of death meant?

I would like to change the rear gears first. I imagine a nice gear ratio for my posi, would wake it up nicely.

Honestly, I seen Summit sells gear set ups for my 8.5 posi, their not cheap.

And..I will admit I have never done a swap with gears. I think you have to do certain things inside there, and something about the large nut on the pinion. I think I would have to pay for that one thing to get done. I know I would not get everything right on that. But yes...I agree, there would be a major difference.