Originally Posted By: efi-diy
Originally Posted By: Blackwater
SNIP THEN you won't be dependent on expensive electronics. I love some of the electronic controls and the like, but they ARE prone to stacking small anomalies into major malfunctions at times.

I can tell you have not run a simple shift - there are at least 6 of them close by me, running in various cars with no issues.

Turn 2 knobs to set low and high throttle shift points, 2 knobs to set low and high shift throttle firmness and 2 more to set low and high t/c lock up points. Once you have it set where you like it - mount it up under the dash and forget about it.
Try changing shift point on a 700 with having ATF running down your arms....

If your 700R4 is set up right, you don't have to fool with it. Have several NHRA World Record Holders using the 700R4 successfully with little or no issues. My little brother does 'em for a living!!! Many, many successful street rods and customs that perform flawlessly on the street as well!!!!

Electronics are GREAT!! But they ain't the "Be All and End All" of the automotive world!! A dead or low battery or a bad connection and your electronics are in jeopardy!! And just try to diagnose an electronic failure on the side of the road at 2:30 in the morning on some remote backroad.

I respect your position on modern electronics and such. I run a big block truck with a 4L80E and fuel injection, I'm building a 406" small block that will run LT4 style fuel injection and a 4L60E, probably with a turbo for my Jeep pickup project.

I also run a Shovelhead Harley Davidson with a six speed trans and an S&S Super B carb and a magneto! There is no part of that vehicle that I can't fix on the side of the road with a flashlight and the tools I have in the saddlebags. "So simple a caveman can do it!!!"!

My little '28 Ford/Dodge rat rod is the same way. As crude as a fart at a wedding and as dependable as a sledgehammer!!

OH!! YEAH!! I can change the shift points on my 700R4 in thirty seconds, barehanded, with a simple cable adjustment!!! No need to fool with fluid or tools or even knobs!!

You'd do better if you'd show the same respect for other ways to do things that you seem to demand from those who choose to do it differently!!

If you have the 700R4 and it works, WHY spend many dollars to change when a $5 to $15 dollar part and a question or two asked and answered will provide the same results???

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary