I am going to lump my reply to all the responses together.

Re the 292, I also got a spare parts car with 2 hoods one has plenty of room, my concern is more oil pan clearance and what to do with the passenger side motor mount. I have a 292 engine. It was cheap and I bought it to take the head, intake and exhaust so I can nix the integrated intake on the 77. But I found out 2 things about the 292. One it is a GM Goodwrench short block and two, there is literally no cylinder wear. Which is why I thought about using it.

That being written, the Camaro is a tribute car to my grandparents. It was the last car they owned before their passing. They bought it new. It was the car I would use when I would go home on leave in the late 70s. So after a little soul searching, I really want the car to look stock so the 292 is out. They had a 250 in their car so a 250 it shall remain...but that does not preclude me from putting some go fast parts in it.

Budget is ~1K per piece of the project. Hence the question, if given choice, what would you do first and why?

The FiTech has been on my radar since it came out. I have a couple of 327 cars that could really benefit from it up in the thin air. I know it can be set up to work on the inlines.

Ahhh, the slant 6. One of my favorites. My Mom had a 66 Plymouth Valiant when I was growing up. That was one of the engines I cut my teeth on. Thing ran forever.

4.2 has been on my radar as well and there is one for sale with trans here on Craigslist...but as described above I am going to stick with the 250.

Eventually I would like to have this car be both turbo and FI but I want to choose one or the the other to start. That's why I am throwing out the question. Which did you choose and why (I know, I asked this question in an earlier paragraph).

Both have benefits and detractors on paper. I see the biggest bang for the buck from a performance perspective being turbo with a blow through carb. I see EFI being the best investment for drivability at this altitude...and of course I see both giving me a fun car to drive winter or summer, at 5000 ft or at sea level. I just dont have the money sitting around to get a second 250 engine, do the rebuild, and add both turbo and EFI. But I do have a fresh 292 short block to sell to help fund the projects.

Buy the way gang, thanks for the quick responses.

Regards,
RJ