Originally Posted By: 53chevy
But, I also want to put a larger water pump pulley on to slow down the speed of the coolent. My theory being to give the coolent more time in the radiator to cool down.

(inline with strokersix) This blog post over at Champion Cooling suggests otherwise: "The idea that too much water flow causes overheating is a myth."

It also points out that a water pump is designed to create a specific amount of pressure in the block (against the closed thermostat) so under-driving the pump may have other consequences.

I think that the increased radiator capacity is a step in the right direction. But maybe all you need is a new stock core.

I had an '86 P/U that ran fine for years and then suddenly started to overheat on the freeway. The temp gauge would just rise-and rise the longer the cruise. Ambient temps didn't matter.

The problem was radiator deposits. At cruise the thermostat was cycling so quickly that the (deposit-insulated) radiator couldn't keep up. Eventually the thermostat would be held open with overly-hot coolant in both the block and the radiator. The issue was not flow rate but dissipation rate . . .