Absolutely correct. The gentleman who showed me how that job is correctly done was Jim Fox who ran the Frantic Ford Mustang funny car, and John “Radar” Henry, both out of the famous east coast K&G Speed Associates machine shop. Jim fox was a man of few words so when he and radar showed me how time consuming it was to get a gear driven 6 block properly set up to correct a main bore problem, and the associated costs involved, I listened. They were both unbelievable machinists and engine builders. Of course, the machine shop is now long closed, Radar passed away a good number of years ago, and Mr. Fox retired, I heard he may have gone back to California. They were great days. Try to find a machine shop that can do such work. Few and very far between.

That is why with these early 6 motors, if the mains are fine, and they usually are, leave them be (I have over thirty of these 55-62 motors under my belt and I am nothing more than a hobbist and have never had to re align the mains. That is not to say it never has to be done, only to say that it is pretty rare in my experience).