Originally Posted By: gbauer
If you're talking Valvoline make sure it's VR-1.

I wouldn't even use that. There's several oils out there for older engines. I used Brad Penn oil and it did very well. Modern oils have too much bad crap and not enough good crap to work well with our old engines. I wiped a cam that way. Local machine shop stocked Brad Penn and swore by it so I started using it instead and only resorted to VR-1 (and ONLY VR-1) when I couldn't get the good stuff and needed to top off. VR-1 is the most common of the types of oil you need but, again, I still wouldn't rely on it alone.

Last time I changed, I found VR-1 synthetic (black bottle) cheap. But I've been Googling it and the synthetic seems hard to find in store now, and the conventional (silver bottle) is not that cheap. My innards are still factory stock with weaker springs and low lift, that was already broken in with 1978 oil. The oil needs are not as demanding as a built engine. Over $60 for just the oil in an annual change is a bit much. I think I can find something more reasonable as I keep searching.....or at least a sale.