Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
At this point, you are limited to just being able to make a lot of small changes and only getting small returns having to stay within certain parameters for street driving. Going too much larger with the cam could also require you to purchase a stall converter for instance. All of these things are just part of the puzzle, but not many are left that will keep you inside these guidelines without making daily driving suffer if they are even concerns for you. It may be time to do a cost to gain ratio calculation and see if the costs to gain what little may be left and still not sacrifice your driving needs are is acceptable. First, you may ask how much more of a gain are you expecting? And can that gain be achieved at an acceptable cost. You may only be able to net another 20 HP from where you are now, but if its going to be at the cost of another cam and lifter set and the cost of having to tear the head down and port it and install lumps at $500-$600 dollars for the package or more, is it worth it?
$600 for 20 h.p. doesn't seem practical but nothing else has been either! stall converter was expected, so not a deal breaker. current cam is too mild, but never having a 292 before, nothing to compare it to. I have done the big cam, lower gears and run at 3500 rpm's to stay in the power, and was happier with 224 or 230 cams in v-8's. I have had comp cams 268 (218 @ 50) in a 250 and in a small block and in both cases wanted more. using ONLY that as a guideline, I can deal with 230. has anyone here ran that in a 292 that can comment?