These were popular in sprint cars for a long time!! There are STILL some used parts that show up every once in a while on the various forums for sale.

Mercruiser still uses a version produced by GM that offers 181 cubic inches! It's also used in forklifts and industrial machinery! They are solid little power plants, even if they ARE a little vanilla!! They have a good deal of parts interchangeability within the various models and share a lot of parts and characteristics with the 230/250 Chevy sixes. One of the neatest characteristics is the fact that you can bolt a regular Chevrolet transmission to these little fellers!! PoweeGlide to 4L80E and any manual transmission combo as well!!

I'm currently accumulating parts for a 153 that's in my little Model A/'24 Dodge rat rod coupe. I've fabricated a number of pieces for the car and even built a header and ram intake manifold for it!! I'm planning on changing crankshafts, rods, and pistons to make my 153 into a 175" stroker with a turbocharger.

Last edited by Blackwater; 02/18/18 12:11 PM.

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary