As many of you know, I'm working on an old Chevy II engine for a rat rod project. I had the engine combination mostly worked out and then this complete '79 Buick turbo package stumbled into the picture, (I'm a sucker for weird stuff) trying to confuse the issue.

My engine package is built around a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio with turbo/nitrous capable forged pistons, six inch H-beam rods, a 181 crankshaft set up to provide a .400" longer stroke, a ported head with larger stainless valves, better springs, retainers, and keepers, and a performance oriented, (roller if I can find one) camshaft.

This turbo is capable of up to 12 lbs. of boost which will be excessive on pump gas. I can adjust the boost down considerably to reach a safe cylinder pressure. This isn't exactly what I'd like to do.

I'm wondering how much boost I could run and if the performance could be improved by setting this up to run E85. I have all steel fuel lines. The electric fuel pump is alcohol friendly. I can rebuild either carburetor that I have to run on alcohol or blended fuel.

This is a very simple little car with NO electronics used. Those first Regals had little if any computerized spark or fuel control and I'd like to keep it that way.

This one needs to be CAVEMAN friendly!!

My Jeep truck project has ALL the bells and whistles with electronic fuel injection, computer controlled automatic transmission, and even ABS brakes. I'm keeping the two of them separated!!

Last edited by Blackwater; 03/02/18 03:27 PM.

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary