Greetings . . . 50sChevy's post on his 302 swap brought back memories of the 'dark times' of my build.

As I have mentioned in other posts there are certain aspects of restoration that are quite rewarding when complete - but a total drag when one is in the middle of them. Floorboards are high on that list.

I was somewhat surprised by the materials&techniques used at the factory in this area. The toe boards were topped with die cut press-board - alot like the material one finds in the back of an old radio or tv cabinet. The stuff absorbs water like a dry sponge:

Underneath was a layer of tar-paper apparently glued down with hot tar:

The tar-paper remained mostly well adheared - even after 60+ years. But it was hiding rust:

It is as if Chevy hired a bunch of roofers to prep the floorboards. All of the beads were filled with strips of tar paper - so that the layer above was supported:

Hours of tedious scraping revealed rust underneath most areas subject to foot traffic (low spots):

Only the high spots (underneath the seats) remained rust free.

The wheel wells and the floor above the axle were covered with a heavy coating of gooey tar . . . scrape - scrape - scrape!

After a thorough scraping and sweeping the floors were treated with a generous coat of POR15 and then top coated with Eastwood's gray.

Given all of the moisture that seemed to have collected here over the years I decided that a vapor barrier was in order . . .

Running into a limit on photo links so I will continue in a reply.
regards,
stock49