Originally Posted By: Blackwater
This is worth a try! Remove the fast idle stop screw from one of the carbs. Use the other carb as "Control" and adjust the cold idle with the control carb. You can slow the fast idle down with one screw to the point that your chokes work and the total air/fuel flow is comparable to a single carb.

It's a good idea . . . but there's a hitch. If I remove the fast idle screw (or just back it out of reach of the cam) I loose control over the choke plate on that carb - which is designed to be tethered firmly to the fast idle cam by the choke control rod:

When then engine is cold this will allow the bi-metal spring in the 'Climatic Control' to hold the choke plate closed requiring a smaller throttle blade setting on the fast idle screw in the control carb. Conversely, when then engine starts to warm up the choke plate will begin to hang free. This will let in to much air (on the un-tethered carb)for the fast idle throttle plate setting and lead me back to the original race condition where the incoming air flow pulls the carb off the idle circuit and onto the main meter.

Now if I could tether both choke plates to one fast idle cam . . . this would work. But that would be long and clunky linkage and probably require a stronger then stock spring on the control carb fast idle cam.

Thanks for sharing ideas. To minds are better then one at solving problems.