Originally Posted By: AN2
Somehow missed your build but I am in the process(last 6-7 months or so) of putting together a 292 for turbo/tbi style injection. Shortblock is complete. Did you at all poke around the idea of a Borgwarner EFR series turbo for the twin scroll design and internal boost management?

Also, did you install steel top rings? The Ross pistons I purchased, when the machine shop looked up the part number, said they were cast. Any concern of shattering a top ring? Total seal gave me a reasonable price for the correct rings. I left .013 deck height with dished pistons and was concerned about 10 psi for a daily driver. Are you going back after 15 psi? Sorry for a bit of a scattered post and questions.

Btw, nice build so far. Everything is coming together great. A lot of attention to detail.

Thanks!

I didn't look too much at borg warner turbos. Mostly looked at turbonetics, comp turbos, and garrett. The garrett seemed was by far the best fit because I was halfwalf through fabricating another up pipe for the SPA manifold but I really wanted something that bolted directly to it because the up pipe was kind of a pain. I've only found that garrett makes reverse rotation turbos and that was the only thing that would work in this GM A-body that wouldn't hit the frame or control arms.

The BW turbos look nice enough but the SPA manifold has an external wastegate mount so I assumed I would make one anyway since that was how I did my last setup and I basically passed over any turbos with integrated wastegates.

Here are the rings that are in my engine at the moment.

and here are the clearances on the rings

I'm pretty sure the top rings are cast but I'd need to look up the part again. I'm not too concerned about the rings really. I put the first iteration of this engine through a hell of a beating and it only cracked out a ring/piston because it got to hot from going lean and those rings weren't gapped for a turbo motor. I guess I don't really know until it breaks but with a proper A/R ratio from EFI, intercooling, and a solid fuel system, I'd probably only get nervous once I start pushing past 15psi.

My plan is to run it at somewhere around 12-15psi daily. The chart below is where the efficiency of this turbo at different levels from a couple of pages ago. The first vertical line of a given color is at 3000rpm and the last vertical line is at 5000rpm. Between those lines is where I can expect the efficiency to be while I'm in boost. 10 and 15psi gives me pretty good efficiency in that 3000-5000rpm range which is likely where I'll be driving it. Once I get north of 20psi, I'll probably want stronger rods and to swap piston rings.

And thanks for the compliments

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.