So moving back to the engine in the Firebird. In good news, I put two different mechanical oil pressure gauges on it today and they read 8-10psi higher than the gauge in the car, so the engine is probably not wounded like I thought. I'm feeling a lot better about using it.

I wired up the battery disconnect switch. It's a 4-pole one so it not only kills the main power wire, but also the dedicated power feed to the ECU which inturn shuts off the fuel pump/engine. Don't have to worry about the alternator keeping it running.
https://www.facebook.com/randal.burns.3/videos/10215711480233674/

Then started on removing the manifolds from the engine to mock up the intake and header to make sure there weren't any surprises.

The 2.5" exhaust with glass pack has served me well, but is now replaced with a 4" pipe.

Intake manifold fits. Of course its not port matched to this head, its about 1/8" off.

I do like how this is looking!

The headers clear everything!

However, there is only about 1/8" clearance between it and the alternator. I have a 3/4" spacer on the alternator that I think I can remove as well as use a shorter belt to pull it down and away.

Then I finished wrapping the exhaust. If I have time I'll make some tin heat shields as well. Thermal management I think will be important.