Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I mentioned once that Ford/Merc flatheads are only competitive at Bonnevelle because they only race against each other. Every other brand has to duke it out. They didn't like it but they didn't ban me. They have their own version of hot rod history there. But there is a lot of good stuff too.

Well, I'm no Ford fan as of recent, although I do own a Ford 1-1/2 ton flat bed, if it was easy to replace it with a Chevy I would. In my quest to understand the speed limitations on the older vehicles, I came across quite a bit of information about Henry Ford. I'm gonna be nice here and just say that he was a disgusting man. If I never own another Ford I won't be hurt. Henry Ford was a bigot, racist, even a vocal antisemitic which is humorous as he was one of the biggest megalomaniacs in the history of America, on the level of Henry Disston, Rockefeller, Jobs, Gates, et al...

Originally Posted By: panic
IMHO the '32 V8 was a great thing back in the day.

It certainly was, but it was brought on by Chevy's inline 6. The most innovative thing about the 32 V-8 was the fact that it had a single piece cast block. That piece is innovative, although in the end Chevy kicked their @$$ with the SBC. The overhead cam V8 offered so many possibilities in regard to cooling and modifications.

All that is pretty much history, it can't be changed, IMO.

Previous to buying my 'ol '46 I was looking at Fords. I really did want a BB or a B, for the very reason that in '32 they changed to the Model B.

It really wasn't until the 50s when they became more streamline, stronger bodies, bigger V8 engines, but I longed for the old style crank windshield, the big grills, headlight buckets, et al

Chevy only had a L6 pushrod OHV

And they were only able to sell it for about 50 or 60 years, go figure...LOL

and for many people "a V8 is better".

But it is worth pondering that even Ford enthusiasts put SBCs in their resto-mods... wink

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup