Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
If you put in3.55 rear end gears and run 28.5" to 30" tires on the back you'l be good at 60-65 mph. You'll need to change your speedo gear.

BOTP,

Didn't mean to fall off the face of the earth on 'ya, just been busy wrestling with my flat bed hitch and trailer. I went down to the yard yesterday, but it was pouring rain, so I came back home. The trailer however is a tilt-top that will haul my pickup and I'm gonna use that to get it weighed and haul it to the DMV after so I can get the VIN verified. Everything else is taken care of already.

That said, the tires are either 28.8" or 28.9", one is the OEM 6.00x16 Bias Ply and the other is my 235/75r15 radials. I figure it's very close to factory tire diameter. This raises a question I believe you can answer, that being, the wheels on my pickup are 6 bolt, and the original rim is 5 bolt I believe. I think this means at *minimum* that the shafts and/or wheel hubs have been changed to accommodate that. Isn't that thinking correct?

Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Something else to consider if any sustained highway speeds are planned the front wheel caged ball bearings should be replace with the tapered roller kits offered by after market venders.

I do plan that, so will look into that. Should the rear bearings be replaced also if they're caged ball bearings? I believe the original bearings are in there, but don't know until I get everything apart, which most likely won't happen on the front until I get the ring/pinion installed.

Thanks for noting that, could be important, IMO.

I've been wrestling with the brakes, and unfortunately it's been raining west of you, could be raining in Reno also...today is starting to come down like a cow p!$$ing on a flat rock..I need to get the oxy-acet bottles out and give it a heating...if this rain would ever clear...

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup