BOTP,

The 11 is on the front right side, I think, top of the GM stamp in the casting. See last pic, I think that is what I was talking about. Not the captain bars that's over to the left and below the distributor I believe. This is also a 3836848 which is stated to only be a 235.

I have more info...pneumatics kick @$$, never underestimate a wire wheel on a die grinder...

Also, left side rear behind distributer is:

CON 1 K 30 3 (this looks like it dates the block to '53)

Under the GM stamp on the casting, right front under GM stamp:

('53 Corvette??? come on, don't $#!T me...LOL)

EDIT: The above image should be 3835911 for the block. I see it listed as such, but only up to 1955. That looks like a Corvette block, but the head I have is a 3836848 and it only listed from '56 on...since the K means it's November, maybe it was transition in late '55 with the newer head on it as that was the new model year after Sept. Does that make any sense? Did Chevy do that type of stuff?

EDIT2: Ok, I think I'm understanding what I have now, and part of it seems pretty cool..

According to this page, the block must be a 1953. However the head is newer from '56-'62, unless I'm mistaken. What is kind of cool is that for someone with a '53 vette that didn't have a block, I do have one! Not that I want to get rid of it, it is what is in my 'ol '46. Also according to this page, the JBM is legit on the engine number, although it doesn't say what a vehicle designation of B is. If this is so, J is for '51, but the K is correct for the '53.

(makes sense of JBM on the serial number)
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/engine.htm

(this page says after Oct. 16 in '53 could be corvette for 3835911)
http://www.1954advance-design.com/Stovebolt-engine/casting-numbers.html

EDIT3: Does anyone else think the font on the J looks just a tad odd, in comparison to the BM on the engine serial number? Could be correct, I don't know. Interesting that the head is one of the more desirable heads, and the mid-late '53 would be when the bolt pattern changed, to a block that would accept the newer head. This seems plausible to me. I don't know if this would peg it as a Corvette block, but it's my f#@$ing fantasy... laugh As I've said all along, the guy that put the engine in seemed to know a thing or two about the Inline 6. I didn't quite luck out on the brakes, but getting them fixed

Whenever I get the cover off, the head should be dated. between the valves. Will be interesting to see what year the head is.

What say ye?

Last edited by Keroppi; 01/28/19 04:32 AM. Reason: 3 edits

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup