Originally Posted By: stock49
Originally Posted By: Keroppi
stock,

My conveyor number is 1, do you know where that is located?

It literally refers to the conveyor belt that the block ran along during casting. AFAIK this was done for QA purposes. If blocks in the inspection area started to fail tolerance tests then the conveyor in question could be shutdown until the issue was resolved. Meanwhile all of the other conveyors kept humming along . . . And I have heard that when things go wrong in a casting process (because of long cooling times) a conveyor could produce a lot of scrap until a problem was detected by inspectors.

Ok, I was thinking it was the main line, but it sounds like it's only for the block itself. I was thinking that Con1 was in some city and Con2 in another, Con3 in another, etc...

As I kid I grew up working for my parents near a GM plant. My family owned a liquor store. The GM workers would come in and cash their checks on Thursday night, and every night at their lunch break dozens of them would come in buying booze. They would joke about having extra nuts and bolts in their pockets...that was by the South Gate plant in Southeast L.A. They made Impalas there in the early 60s. Now I think back and ponder all of those 327s that must have been in that plant, but I digress...

There are still a couple unknowns, but I'm satisfied with what I have as a base engine to start with. The engine seems to run pretty good. I have much more work to do on the brakes and rear end than I do the engine.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup