Originally Posted By: mick53
Very impressive! When people tell me they don't make that I say someone will.

Hah, not very impressive at all, it's but a wheel cylinder piston. Impressive is your project... whistle

For me it's just about doing it. Sometimes I would buy it online, but if I can make something I will probably try...I had been pondering why there hasn't been any better material used for pistons, but the cylinders are cast iron. My original pistons are cast iron. I know folks do use aluminum. It is easier to work with. The reason I used cast iron is that there's a small amount of graphite in it and that acts as a lubricant in a bearing type situation. As such, some mills came with cast iron nuts on the table screw. Aluminum, OTOH, will gall when reaching high temps such as a no lubrication condition.

At the end of the day I'm gonna replace these with Bendix anyway! wink That said, the piston wouldn't be any different. However it seems the Bendix wheel cylinder has a larger bore.

I'm certain a better material could be used, I thought it would be cool to make some bronze pistons...but there are more factors involved like type of lubrication and such...in this case it's not worth trying to re-invent the wheel, if nothing else we know that disc brakes are superior. wink

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup