Originally Posted By: Blackwater
Originally Posted By: intergrated j 78
The overdrive transmissions that I was originally talking about were the 3 speeds with the planetary type overdrive unit controlled by an electric solinold. The type that Blackwater mentioned is interesting also. What little I have read has been about the Chrysler units. These are 4 speeds where 3rd is direct drive and 4th is an overdrive. One question I have about the OD 4 speeds that blackwater is talking about, is the cluster gear different than a regular Saginaw 4 speed? Thanks in advance, Jay

YES!! They ARE different. The only parts that I'm sure are interchangeable are the bearings and the case parts. I only ever saw these in Camaros and one in pickup. Pretty rare. The Chrysler units were in Aspen and comparable wagons and one or two in corresponding sedans. You'll hafta' comb the junk yards for these. Like I said, most of them that I saw had bearing failures, particularly the middle main shaft bearing. Some of them were pretty spectacular. Some were catastrophic!!

Those chrysler units are not Saginaw though. AFAIK, Saginaw never made a 4 spd OD. The Mopar, and Chevy variants Were New Process A833s. I have one in the shop intended for my 56 Dodge PU. And you were correct about lube is important. They were speced as needing ATF back in the 70s. My first one was a direct drive high gear version in my little Dart HP273.