Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
This is an easy rebuild. Do the best you can but it doesn't have to be perfect. Get all the dirt and grease out. These old things are pretty forgiving, that's why we love them.

There's enough wrong with it that I think it makes sense to just get a rebuilt unit. There's a lot of rust inside, but the armature doesn't want to pull out, and I can feel rust/crud in there as I move it...the spings and wires can probably be sprayed with T-9 or similar, but even so the wires look very old and brittle.

Now, here's the irony...I have a receipt that the seller gave me with the paperwork. The receipt is dated 10-7-16, clearly states 1946 Chevy Pickup...

"Take off starter & install after rebuild. Adjust voltage regulator - adj carb - change ground cable."

There is no way this starter was rebuilt, this thing is so crusty inside, and one of the hex heads on the long screws is kind of rounded, but I got it off with a vice-grip.

Had the wires and armature been clean as they should have been, I'd feel better about it, but this could actually be the original starter to the engine, which is replaced as it's a '54-'62 235 with lubricated head.

Also, receipt says the ground cable was replaced. Yeah, one was that was too small running to the engine block, but the ground from the battery to the firewall was FUBAR. Seems like half arse work to me...

Last edited by Keroppi; 08/29/19 04:29 PM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup