Originally Posted By: Keroppi
Now, here's the irony...I have a receipt that the seller gave me with the paperwork. The receipt is dated 10-7-16, clearly states 1946 Chevy Pickup...

"Take off starter & install after rebuild. Adjust voltage regulator - adj carb - change ground cable."

There is no way this starter was rebuilt, this thing is so crusty inside, and one of the hex heads on the long screws is kind of rounded, but I got it off with a vice-grip.

Had the wires and armature been clean as they should have been, I'd feel better about it, but this could actually be the original starter to the engine, which is replaced as it's a '54-'62 235 with lubricated head.

Also, receipt says the ground cable was replaced. Yeah, one was that was too small running to the engine block, but the ground from the battery to the firewall was FUBAR. Seems like half arse work to me...

Unfortunately there are the unscrupulous types out there. May have pulled the starter for rebuild - got busy - and then just bench tested it, cleaned up the visible parts and reinstalled . . . :-(

Fortunately there are lots of sources for a replacement unit at reasonable prices.