Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
That is strange. Maybe it ha been in a fold since then. I took two pickups from a ranch here along the river. They had sat in some pretty high water.

I know the previous seller had problems obviously, and it's never started properly since I had it, although after I messed with the cables it did crank over and I thought I had my problem fixed...apparently not... blush

Originally Posted By: stock49
Fortunately there are lots of sources for a replacement unit at reasonable prices.

Jim Carter is getting me one, I like him and he's helped me out recently with a spring for the Huck brakes. He has some of the best prices also, $130 for a rebuilt starter, +$90/core. I have mine all pulled off and taken apart, will just toss it all back together and send it to him. At least I will know that getting one from him should look like new inside. And I did test it off the truck, it works fine when hooked up to a battery charger, but it doesn't seem to work good when it has a load on it (i.e., connected to the flywheel). When it has the umph, it's strong...but it's intermittent. That I don't like... frown

And yeah, it may be possible to clean this one up BOTP, but everything is old, rusty and brittle, you can hear the crust when you start to pull out the armature...I don't want this back in my truck...but one problem is Jim Carter doesn't have stock, but the rebuilder is sending him 2, and worst case I can send my core back to them first.

I'll need to wait until Tues. as Mon. is a holiday and I don't think Jim got one today or he would have notified me.

Last edited by Keroppi; 08/31/19 12:22 AM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup