Ok, this is not turning out the way I wanted, but isn't life like that most always? blush

Jim Carter did explain it where it finally makes a lot more sense so that I can understand the problem at hand.

As I have discovered (with some of your help! wink ) is I have a '56-'62 235 with the high compression 848 head. That of course is the good part, as Jim Carter had noted that it is top of the line for '37-'62 engines. However, in '55 Chevy changed to the 12 volt system and the flywheel changed as well. I'm not exactly clear if I can just convert the system to 12 volt and use the flywheel that is in it, but as Jim noted, apparently the previous owner had put the older 139 tooth flywheel in the '56-'62 235 so that the 6 volt system could be used.

Now, what are my options to fix this problem?

1) Change flywheel to a 168 tooth. They do sell a ring gear, but in order to put it on the flywheel you have to drop the trans...then heat and press on...probably not that big of a deal on this truck...

2) Jim Carter seems to imply that having the 12 volt battery on the truck with a 12 volt starter and generator will allow it to use the old flywheel on it. This would be a 12 volt conversion.

I will need to think about that, since I also need to replace the ring/pinion in the rear which requires everything to come off up to the transmission. It just might make sense to replace the flywheel at that point. Maybe it would be possible to use the 12 volt system until I can get to that, because the ring/pinion will be a fairly involved project in itself. The flywheel could be done at that time. If I can have the 12 volt system in place, maybe I can change the starter drive gear and flywheel at the same time when I do the ring/pinion on the rear end.

Any thoughts or anyone know of this situation and will the 12 volt starter band aid me back together?

EDIT: this is a good explanation of the problem, although I am not completely clear what my options are at this point and/or whether I will need to replace my flywheel before anything.

http://devestechnet.com/Home/Flywheel

Last edited by Keroppi; 09/08/19 06:51 PM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup