Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I haven't seen a Jim Carter catalog in several years but was always impressed with the quality. So I guess he makes a 12v starter with the right gear for the 6v flywheel.

Yes, he does, I believe but I have sent a message off to make sure as I know he can make one up by putting the starter drive gear from the 6 volt on a 12 volt starter. He knows very well I have the 139 tooth flywheel and was discouraging me from swapping it out as it would require to separate and pull the trans from the bell housing. Anyway, they do have the drive gears and I'm certain he can make what I need.

IMO, he's a standup guy, he's the first owner of a parts company that has ever taken the time to respond to me personally. Plus they work on and sell parts for these old Chevys all the time, know the quirks and can make the oddball parts like a 12 volt starter with a 6 volt drive gear. And if that's not enough their prices are about the best online. Both starter drive gears are 9 teeth, but the 6v/139-tooth is 4 teeth per inch and the 12v/168-tooth is 5 teeth per inch. That's the main difference in why they won't work interchangeably. The gears would mash each other, expecting completely different arcs between the teeth. Involute gears are fascinating... grin

He says the 235 is plenty of power that one could want in the 'ol '46. Can't wait to get this all together. I still have the ring/pinion to do also, that should give it the last bit of highway boost I need.

He commented to me that the previous owner went to a great deal of trouble to put the old 6v flywheel on the 235, but I don't believe that's the case. The block appears to be a '51 truck block (JBM) and the head is the 848, so my theory is he pieced it all together and used the 216 flywheel.

Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
A car with an alternator might be able to push start if the battery was not completely dead. My pickup has and alternator. Or trucks have an amp meter, an alternator needs a volt meter.

Jim mentioned there's a problem if the battery is completely dead and you try to jump start it. That will cause bad juju on something, but that is only with a completely dead battery and he noted it is a very rare case that the battery doesn't have anything in it...but as a precaution as test before jumping would be in order. The voltage reducers aren't too bad, nor is the voltage regulator and coil. Probably $200 total for the alternator and all these parts, excluding the battery which I have.

Last edited by Keroppi; 09/10/19 02:48 AM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup